Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Playhouse Part 3: Painting the Interior

While hubby slaved away at repairing a few exterior boards, I worked on the interior of the playhouse. This involved painting, painting and more painting. Yup, this little shed needed to be primed and painted from top to bottom. And while I enjoy painting, I don't love to paint ceilings in 90 degree weather. Actually, I don't love painting ceilings in the best of conditions.
Our first step was to head to Lowe's where we bought a cart full of paint.


  • 2 gallons of exterior primer (Valspar)

  • 1 gallons of exterior paint in a lovely sky blue (Valspar)

  • 1 gallons of exterior paint in white (Olympic)

  • 1 pint of green paint for trim and door (Valspar)

  • 1 gallon of exterior paint in pale yellow (Duramex Valspar)

  • 4 rollers to apply the paint designed for exterior surfaces
Yes, that's six cans of paint! Luckily, there was a sale on Valspar paint ($10 discount for every $50 spent). Total cost was around $130.00. I can already see that this little project is going to not be cheap!

After thoroughly checking for interior damage, and finding none, I primed the interior of the shed.
Two evenings and about a gallon and a half of primer and I was done. This primer was very good and went on beautifully. I'm glad I finished this before before the weather hit 90 degrees. I love how much brighter the interior of the shed now looks.

Next, I painted the ceiling a lovely shad of light blue. Between the good primer and the regular flat exterior primer by Valspar, I only needed one coat of each and the ceiling was good to go. Can you tell I'm a fan of Valspar?


Note to self, do not do an arm workout the evening before you plan to paint a ceiling.

Then I moved onto the walls. I wanted to keep the light airy feeling, so I painted the walls white. Unfortunately, I had to paint two coats of white over the primer. I don't know why I bought Olympic paint, but I bet that if I had bought Valspar, I would have only needed one coat. What I do love is that I can still see the wood grain through the primer and paint.

Finally, I removed the drop cloth (which didn't seem to help at all) and decided I might as well power on and finish the floors as well. Instead of using the green as I had planned, I grabbed some leftover deck stain from our deck project last year. Yeah, it's bright red, but perfect for a playhouse! It's a Behr brand that worked very well (I also like Behr paint, but Lowe's is about 5 miles closer to our house, so I use Valspar more often).

After one quick coat of deck stain on the floor, this is what I was left with.

I love it! Now, the only thing left to do on the interior is adding furniture and accessorizing. I can't wait to add the little tables, hooks and curtains. Unfortunately, our next step will be painting the exterior. Stay tuned for that!

No comments: