Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Playhouse Part 1

Despite that we have a to-do list full of home projects, I have ditched all those and started a new one. My husband is almost thrilled. We are turning our old shed into a play house for our kids! The kids are growing up so quickly that I want to get this done for them ASAP! Or maybe I just always wanted a play house of my own and am now living vicariously through my children. Does it really matter? In either case, the kids are getting a playhouse.

Here she is, in all of her glory, the soon-to-be playhouse!
Yeah, it's ugly, but very solid. It reminds me of our house when we first bought it. So, I know it had loads of cute potential! The shed originally housed our tools and yard equipment. However, we have half a garage that is more than big enough to contain these items.

To the right of the shed is a lovely box we use as a yard waste/worm bin. In the picture, you see a bunch of stuff piled up in it because we are cleaning the yard. There are two windows that unfortunately look out into the neighbors' yards. I would have loved to see some of those windows from our yard. And finally to the back of the shed is our compost bin. It'll have to stay here as it's the only place that makes sense for a compost bin in our yard.

The inside of the shed is pretty basic. It's unpainted plywood. Yeah, that's going to be so fun to paint.
As soon as it stops raining, I'm going to start my paint-a-thon of 2011. This puppy will easily take 6 gallons of paint, maybe more. Despite the work ahead, I am so excited. My kids are going to be thrilled. My son even started hinting around how great it would be if we would like the kids play in the shed like it was a little kid's house. I want to keep it a surprise, so I told him that it was for our gardening equipment.

So, what's the plan? I actually have two plans; one for the interior and one for the exterior.
Exterior
*Paint the shed pale yellow to match the house
*Paint the trim yellow and green to match the house
*Add an address sign
*Add landscaping (some strawberry plants, clematis on a trellis and two bushes)
*Add two little chairs and table to lounge around outside

Interior
*Prime ceiling and walls
*Paint ceiling blue, walls white (maybe) and floor green
*Add hooks to hand toys, coats, and bikes
*Bring in table, shelf and toy box (already own)
*Add a lovely little indoor/outdoor rug
*Add some cute curtains

I'll start on the interior first before we really start seeing 90 degree weather. Hopefully, the rain will let up for a few days and my husband and I can get started painting. I'm so excited for the kids, that I doubt I'll lose focus on this project any time soon!

No comments: