Thursday, July 2, 2009

First Harvest of 2009

Last Saturday marked the first day I pulled something out of our vegetable garden.  It's not a lot, two zucchinis, 5 peppers and a handful of raspberries, but that very first harvest of the season, is always so thrilling.  This is the first year I planned, planted, and cared for the garden without my hubby.  My kids occasionally pitched in and helped weed.  Well, as much as a 6 and 2 year old could anyway.  I can't help but be proud.  Proud of what I grew using my own two hands.  Of what I was able to show my children.      

I have picked vegetables and/or berries every day this week  since.  But, unlike so many people who plant vegetable gardens now days, I don't do it to save money on groceries, or even for health reasons.    Heck, I usually give half of our produce away to friends, family and neighbors.  Don't get me wrong, I do like that we save money and I make a conscience effort to eat healthy.  However, these are not my reasons for planting a vegetable garden.  I find gardening both fulfilling and peaceful.  Gardening meets my urge to create something useful with my own two hands.    The slow and steadiness required to plan and maintain a garden teaches me patience and to enjoy the rich soil and green plants.  For me, gardening is meditative.  



No comments: